20 August 2008

St. Kieran's College, Kilkenny






St. Kieran's College, Kilkenny [demolished]
Demolished late 90s/early 2000s
2nd photograph and text from http://www.buildingsofireland.ie/niah/search.jsp?type=record&county=KK®no=12001104
1890 - 1910
Pair of freestanding handball alleys, c.1900, incorporating fabric of earlier handball alleys, pre-1841. Unpainted rendered, ruled and lined walls over yellow brick English Garden Wall bond construction with random rubble limestone walls to north and to south having dressed limestone quoins to corners, tooled cut-limestone piers, and rendered coping having iron piers supporting iron mesh panels. Set back from road in grounds shared with Saint Kieran's College.
A pair of handball alleys representing an element of the vernacular heritage of County Kilkenny on account of the status as a building type indigenous to Ireland. Set in shared grounds the handball alleys are imbued with a pared-down functional, almost Brutalist quality that is in marked contrast to the fanciful appearance of the nearby college.

0 comments: