25 June 2019

Legan, Co. Longford

Photographed by E. Timoney, June 2019
Read More......

Killeen, Co. Longford


Photographed by E. Timoney, June 2019, who was informed about the alley by D. Reilly.

Read More......

Derrynoose, Co. Armagh


E. Timoney learned about this pair of back-to-back alley from R. Mc Sharry and C. Savage. The land owner G. Renaghan explained that there were lead mines in this area and that the alleys were probably built as part of the mining complex. Photographed by E. Timoney, June 2019
Read More......

Poyntzpass, Co. Armagh



E. Timoney took these photos in June 2019, and with the help of R. Mc Sharry, C.Savage and H. Gamblein learned the following information: the alley is at the back of the former Courthouse. The date of 1943 above the entrance is likely to be the date of renovations made, as the alley seems much older. There is an unusual turn in the right hand side wall towards the back of the alley, which players used to their advantage.
Read More......

Tullycanna, Co. Wexford

This alley was brought to our attention by K. Murphy (Ballymitty). Handball was played against this gable: the top right hand corner of the wall was built up to extend the play-wall surface. The window was always there, even when handball was played here. Photographed by E. Timoney, June 2019 Read More......

15 June 2019

Carlow College ( formerly St. Patrick's college), Co. Carlow


Photograph included here with permission of Carlow College Archivist. The handball alleys visible in left hand foreground of main building were most likely demolished sometime between 2000-2006. A new structure now stands at this location. The buildings around the handball alleys were the college’s farm buildings.
 
There are a couple of references to handball in the collage archival material: One note says that the first mention of a ball court is an entry in the accounts on 8 December 1797 for expenses connected with a ball alley. Between 1820-1822 new ball courts and a gateway between them were erected at a cost of £157.15.4. The gateway would have been that into the farm buildings. These would be the courts demolished in the early 2000s. The boys attending the college subscribed £8 towards the cost. Another note makes reference to junior and senior handball leagues in operation in the college. The game died out during World War II and the years following due to a shortage of balls but there was a revival circa 1949-1950 and leagues were again organised.
This information was helpfully provided by the college archivist B. Deasy to E. Timoney in Nov 2018,
 
Read More......

Foxford, Co.Mayo

Photograph provided by T. O'Malley, Jan 2019 Read More......

St. Conals Hospital, Letterkenny, Co. Donegal (demolished)



Photographs – by E. Timoney, Feb 2009 – show location of former alley against gable wall. B. Vaughan confirmed that the side walls were knocked down in 1990. The former positions of these walls is visible in the photographs.
Read More......

Thurles Christian Brothers School, Co. Tipperary


Photographes of alleys at this CBS school in Thurles, showing walls now plastered for playing hurling. Photographs by N. Cahill, Jan 19 Read More......

Windgap (slate quarry), Co. Kilkenny



This alley used the gable wall of RIC barracks, as shown in the historic photo (http://www.windgap.handball.gaa.ie/club-hi)," The game was first organized in the early 1900’s at the R.I.C. barracks in Baunreigh (Slatequarries) where the gable wall was used and the court was made of cinders, in later times two short side walls were added, shortly after the game was played in O’Sheas alley in Windgap." Also from http://www.windgap.handball.gaa.ie/club-hi

All that remains of this alley today in shown in the photograph, provided by M. O'Shea in Jan 2019
Read More......