20 August 2008

Mitchelstown, Co. Cork




Cloonlough, Mitchelstown, Co. Cork
Photograph and following information from http://www.buildingsofireland.ie/niah/search.jsp?type=record&county=NC®no=20818110
1790 - 1810
Remains of limestone boundary walls to former barracks, c. 1800, with remains of handball alley to site. Building to site in use. Complex comprises random rubble limestone walls with cut tooled limestone quoins, having central angled projections to west, south and east elevations with gun loops. Blocked entrance and door opening to west elevation flanked by dressed stone piers, and with painted limestone entrance to north perimeter, also flanked by piers. Single-storey building to north-east corner possibly incorporates fabric from earlier buildings. Ball alley to north-west, comprising three-sided alley with rendered back wall and coursed rubble limestone sloping side walls, and may be part of original barracks buildings.

This former military barracks was described by Lewis as being "a neat range of buildings adapted for three officers and seventy-two non-commissioned officers and privates." the buildings were burned in 1922 and demolished in the 1940s. The perimeter walls are substantially intact, and with their bastions and other features, are an important reminder of the town's military heritage.

0 comments: