27 July 2008

Rathkennan, Clonoulty, Co. Tipperary




Between Holycross and Clonoulty, Co.Tipperary
Photographed August 2007 by R.Ryan

Information from HERITAGE WEEK postcard
This alley was built on foundation of planned RIC barracks that was never completed. Construction of the barracks began in 1847, but was abruptly halted due to local agitation from tenants. It was transformed into an alley in 1920s by the late Canon Fogarty and local people. Handball was played intensely in 1960s and 70s. Steps to the alley were added when the road was widened.

Site on grounds of Mr. O'Carroll, landowner in 1800s.

Height of main wall: 22'
Length of main wall: 20'
Lenght of side walls: 34'
Thickness of walls: 2"

Walls constructed from stones and clay-type mortar. Floor material is concrete.

0 comments: